Injunctions for Protection from Dating Violence are for situations in which the Petitioner and Respondent may not meet the definition of family or household member, but still have a closer relationship than just friends or strangers. The requirements for an Injunction for Protection from Dating Violence are:

    1. The Petitioner and Respondent must have a dating relationship, which is defined as:
      • A relationship characterized by the expectation of affection or sexual involvement between the parties; AND
      • The frequency and type of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship must have included that the persons have been involved over time and on a continuous basis during the course of the relationship, AND
      • The relationship must have existed within the six months prior to filing the petition.
    2. Petitioner must be the victim of at least one act of violence or have reasonable cause to believe they are in imminent danger of becoming the victim of violence. Violence includes:
      • Assault
      • Aggravated Assault
      • Battery
      • Aggravated Battery
      • Sexual Assault
      • Sexual Battery
      • Stalking
      • Aggravated Stalking
      • Kidnapping
      • False Imprisonment
      • Any criminal offense that results in physical injury or death of one person by another person
  • The Petition itself must be filed in one of three possible jurisdictions. Either where the Petitioner lives, where the Respondent lives, or where the act of dating violence occurred.

If you are in need of an Injunction for Protection, contact us to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys, (727)954-3720.


The information provided by the Warren Law Firm is meant only for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It provides general information and a general understanding of the law but does not constitute legal advice. By using this content, there is NO RELATIONSHIP between you and the Warren Law Firm or The website and content provided should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.